Click a thumbnail on the left to view the whole picture
Seton House Castle
Designed by Robert Adam in 1790 and built on the site of the the Palace of Seton
which was demolished in 1789. During construction, considerable use was made of stone
laid aside from the demolition of the Palace. The house is placed between two U shaped
wings and features an entrance courtyard enclosed by a curved loggia fronted by an
open arcade. The building is grade A listed.
The south elevation either side of the main entrance, and the arcaded loggia were
raked out, consolidated and re-pointed in lime mortar. Isolated stones were indented
where decay made replacement necessary.
Significant sections of the internal parapet of the arcade were unstable and were
taken down and rebuilt prior to the formation of a new roof. The wall-head copes
were also lifted and re-bedded.