© 2013 Stoneworks all rights reserved . Site design by peas&gravy
Click a category above
Click a thumbnail on the left to view the whole picture
The Johnstone Mausoleum
Designed by Robert and James Adam in 1789 the building is considered one of the earliest examples of the use of the Greek Doric Order in Renaissance Europe. It is grade A listed.
Water ingress was a problem and restoration required to arrest the resulting decay. The works undertaken included the replacement of the east and west chamber roofs. The timber structure over the east chamber was replaced with a new design in steel and glass restoring the original outline of the building. The ineffective concrete screed over the domed west chamber roof was removed, the brick substrate was lifted and replaced and a new asphalt finish applied.
The parapet and all four pediments were dismantled and re-built to correct movement and the fluted columns at the entrance reset. Where practical cementitious mortar was removed and all joints re-pointed with lime mortar.
|Robert Louis Stevenson Memorial|
|James Clerk Maxwell|
|West Road Newport|
|St Columbas Church|
|Musselburgh War Memorial|
|Stoneyburn War Memorial|
|Coupar Angus Cross|
|Poetry Rose Garden|
|St Ninians Terrace|
|St Johns RC Church|