Click a thumbnail on the left to view the whole picture
St. Columba’s Church Aberdour Fife
St. Columba’s was opened in 1845 under the auspices of the Earl of Moray, primarily
for his estate workers and their families.
In early 2012 during a fierce storm the bell tower cross was blown off and landed
on the lawn below. We supplied a new cross hand carved by Michael Boyd using the
remains of the original as reference. Following the erection of scaffolding a close
inspection of the bell tower revealed that stones forming the roof had been subject
to significant movement. They were lifted and re-bedded and the entire bell tower
was re-pointed in lime mortar.
Areas of the upper part of the gable below the bell tower which were accessible from
the scaffold were re-pointed to address problems of failed pointing.